How do I test cookie blocking implementation?Last Updated: October 18, 2019
It’s important to double check that you have set up your cookie banner to block cookies properly according to your consent model.
To test, please follow these ten steps:
- Open Chrome and right-click, then click Inspect Element (Ctrl + Shift + I). This will open the Developer Panel
- Navigate to the ‘Application’ tab
- Expand on the Cookies menu item under ‘Storage’
- Click on your domain under the Cookies menu, in our case it would be the first menu item: https://www.cookiepro.com
- You will now see all the cookies on your website along with their Name, Value, Domain, Path, Expiration Date, Size, and more.
- Click the Clear All button to clear all the cookies from your current session
- Perform a hard refresh of the page by pressing (Ctrl + Shift + R)
- If cookies are blocked properly, you will only see the Strictly Necessary cookies load until you accept the CookiePro banner.
- Once you accept the banner, the rest of the cookies should load automatically.
- You can also test by clicking ‘Cookie Settings’ in the Cookie Banner and toggle certain cookie categories on & off to see what cookies will load in the Developer Console.
This is a quick and easy way to test that your cookies are being blocked properly. For instructions on how to block cookies, visit this article.
- Cookie Banner Guidelines for Each Global...
- Cookie Law Definitions
- What is Piggybacking?
- What is protocol?
- What is a Cookie?
- Why are cookies used?
- When are cookies created?
- How long can a cookie last?
- What information is stored in a cookie?
- Who can access cookies?
- How are cookies used in advertising?
- What is cookie profiling?