How Do I Test Cookie Blocking Implementation?
Last Updated: September 3, 2021
It’s important to double check your cookie blocking implementation and that your cookie banner is indeed blocking cookies properly according to your consent model.
To test, you can follow these ten steps:
- Open Chrome and right-click, then click Inspect Element (Ctrl + Shift + I). This will open the Developer Panel
- Navigate to the ‘Application’ tab
- Expand on the Cookies menu item under ‘Storage’
- Click on your domain under the Cookies menu, in our case it would be the first menu item: https://www.cookiepro.com
- You will now see all the cookies on your website along with their Name, Value, Domain, Path, Expiration Date, Size, and more.
- Click the Clear All button to clear all the cookies from your current session
- Perform a hard refresh of the page by pressing (Ctrl + Shift + R)
- If the cookie blocking implementation is correct, you will only see the Strictly Necessary cookies load until you accept the CookiePro banner.
- Once you accept the banner, the rest of the cookies should load automatically.
- You can also test cookie blocking implementation by clicking ‘Cookie Settings’ in the Cookie Banner and toggle certain cookie categories on & off to see what cookies will load in the Developer Console.
This is a quick and easy way to test that your cookies are being blocked properly. For instructions on how to block cookies, visit this article.