What is Cookie Compliance?
Last Updated: January 13, 2021
Cookies are pieces of data, normally stored in text files, that websites place on a visitor’s computer or mobile device to store specific information about the visitor. Cookies are an important tool that gives organizations a deeper insight into their user’s activity.
Types of Cookie Banner Compliance
The cookie compliance approach you adopt will depend on your regulator. GDPR and the ePrivacy Directive is typically more restrictive than other laws such as CCPA. There are many different consent models that comply with your regulators.
CCPA Cookie Compliance
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) is a privacy regulation that went into effect on January 1, 2020. CCPA gives California consumers the right to know what information is being collected on them and how that data is being used.
CCPA cookie compliance requirements include:
- Informational. As described above, the act of simply telling your visitors about the use of website cookies.
- Accept or Decline Cookies Button. While the CCPA doesn’t require opt-in consent, organizations should still choose to include a link that allows visitors to accept cookies.
- Do Not Sell My Personal Information Button. The CCPA requires organizations to provide a “Do Not Sell” button that opts the user out of the sale of their personal data.
GDPR Cookie Compliance
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a European Union privacy law that went into effect in May 2018. The purpose is to create a centralized and uniform standard of data protection for the EU.
GDPR cookie compliance requirements include:
- Gathering user’s consent before the use of any cookies, besides strictly necessary cookies.
- Providing information about the data each cookie tracks and the purpose before consent is granted.
- Documenting and storing users’ consent.
- Making it easy for the users to withdraw consent as it was for them to give consent the first time.
Cookie Compliance Tool
Global privacy laws such as GDPR, CCPA, and LGPD aim to protect user’s data and personal information. This means increased requirements by organizations to provide information and clarity on the processing of their user’s personal data. In order to comply with these laws, you need a cookie compliance tool, like CookiePro.
CookiePro offers a wide range of advanced features such as Website Scanning & Cookie Consent, Mobile App Scanning & Consent, and Data Subject Requests that can be used together or individually. CookiePro is an advanced cookie compliance tool with an intuitive user interface, simplified billing, and 24/7 support. Signup for a free account today, no credit card required.