What is Personal Information in the CCPA?Last Updated: October 14, 2019
According to the CCPA, personal information includes obvious things such as names, addresses, social security numbers (SSNs), and email addresses. It also includes geolocation, IP addresses, shopping or browsing history, psychological profiles, behaviors, attitudes, consumption behaviors, and consumer preferences.
The Right to Opt-Out
Consumers now have the right to “opt-out” of a business selling their personal information.
This means that third-party businesses will not be able to sell customer information unless the customer has received a notice and is given a right to “opt-out” first.
The Right to Access
Consumers can request access to their personal information that a business has stored. In other words, a consumer may ask what information a business has collected on them, and that business will be required to detail what specific type of information was collected.
The Right to Delete
Consumers can request to have their information deleted, and businesses must comply.
There are a few exceptions to this including transactions, security incidents, errors, free speech, internal uses, and legal compliance.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Opt-in for Children
Businesses will be required to collect opt-in for children under the age of 16. For children that are under 13, the opt-in must be collected from a parent or guardian for the collection of personal information.
- What is a Flash Cookie?
- What is Do Not Track?
- What is a Clear GIF?
- What is a Web Beacon?
- What Cookies Does My Site Use?
- What is an Opt-Out Cookie?
- What are Pop Up Ads?
- How are Cookies Used?
- What is an IP address?
- What is Cross-Domain Consent?
- What is Consent by Vendor with CookiePro?
- What is a Cookie Banner for Cookie...
- What is Website Tracking and Why is it...
- Cookie Banner Guidelines for Each Global...
- What is Piggybacking?
- Cookie Law Definitions
- What is a Protocol?
- What is a Cookie?
- Why are cookies used?
- When are Cookies Created on A Users Device?
- How Long Can a Cookie Last?
- Are Cookies Used in Advertising?
- What is Cookie Profiling?
- Privacy Regulations: GDPR vs. CCPA
- What is Prior Consent?
- What is the General Data Protection...
- How do I comply with the e-Privacy?
- What is a DPA?
- The UK Information Commissioner’s Office...
- GDPR and Cookie Consent
- Google Analytics and GDPR
- GDPR Compliant Cookie Banner
- What is Personal Data in the GDPR?
- What are HTTP only Cookies?
- What are Tracking Technologies?
- What is Opt-In Consent?
- What is an Opt-Out Cookie?
- What are Advertising Cookies and Targeting...
- What are Functionality Cookies?
- What are Strictly Necessary Cookies?
- What are Performance Cookies?
- What is a Persistent Cookie?
- What is a Session Cookie?
- What’s the Difference Between First and...
- What is a Third-Party Cookie?
- What is a First-Party Cookie?