CCPA Compliance Checklist: 8-Week Countdown
With the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) going into effect on January 1, 2020, we’ve put together a CCPA Countdown Checklist for organizations to follow.
Over the next eight weeks, we’ll discuss one of the items off the CCPA checklist below. Last week, we provided insight into what companies need to do to determine what data is collected from California consumers.
This week, we’ll review #3 off the checklist.
CCPA Compliance Checklist
Below is the check list we’ll review up until the end of the year.
- Understand what the CCPA is and if it applies to you
- Determine what data is collected from California consumers and for what purposes they are used
- Inform visitors what personal information is collected when visiting your website
- Offer an online form for consumers to access, request deletion, or opt out of sales of their personal information
- Create a toll-free number for consumers to make consumer rights’ requests over the phone
- Maintain detailed, ongoing consent records for compliance
- Develop a process to respond to consumer requests within 45 days from when the request was made
- Obtain opt-in consent from children between ages 13-16 to sell their information; a parent of legal guardian required to opt in on behalf of children under 13 years old
- Provide consumers who exercise their privacy rights the same products and service quality
Right to Notice
Under the CCPA, businesses must inform consumers at or before the point of collection which categories of personal information will be collected and the purposes for which these categories will be used. The CCPA also sets forth specific disclosures that businesses must include in their privacy policies, including descriptions of consumer rights and how to exercise them.
How CookiePro Helps
Customize your website’s cookie banner with a California-specific consent model, and include a “Do Not Sell” link that allows users to opt-out of advertising and data collection cookies on your website.
Scan your website to automatically find and categorize your existing cookies, policies, and notices. Tracking technologies include more than just cookies. CookiePro’s deep website scanning technology checks and identifies all of these trackers as well as terms and conditions, privacy policies, cookie policies and cookie notices to track compliance.
Cookie Banner Creator
Present a custom cookie banner and preference center that allows consumers to opt-in or out of cookies. Customize your cookie consent banner with our easy-to-use drag-and-drop editor using a variety of layouts, colors, buttons, and behaviors that are both web and mobile-friendly. Make further customizations in the custom CSS editor to create a completely customized banner that matches your brand.
Preference Center Maker
Provide preference options with a granular preference center for website visitors to easily manage their cookie preferences across categories determined within the CookiePro platform. Maintain a central preference center across multiple domains.
Stay tuned for the 7-Week Countdown post next week!