California Attorney General: GPC Acceptable Opt-Out Method
On July 19th, 2021 California Attorney General, Rob Banta, held a press conference to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the California...
On July 19th, 2021 California Attorney General, Rob Banta, held a press conference to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) enforcement date. During the conference, the Attorney General provided support to California residents by encouraging them to remain vigilant and proactive with matters regarding their privacy rights. Additionally, he acknowledged the numerous businesses that promptly complied with the monumental privacy law.
While the Attorney General did mention his office’s efforts to crack down on non-compliance, he also commented on the actions being taken by businesses. He stated ‘75% of businesses that received a notice to cure addressed the alleged CCPA violations within the 30-day window. The remaining 25% are either within their 30-day window or are under an active investigation.”
During his address, the AG highlighted four detailed examples of CCPA violations his office had focused on the past year, including:
- Consumer complaints regarding slow response rate to CCPA requests and lack of notification of request receipt or completion.
- Forced sharing of consumers’ personal information and the absence of a “Do Not Share” link.
- Failure to notify consumers of the use of their personal information at the time of collection.
- Requiring consumers to share personal information to participate in loyalty programs while failing to provide notice of the financial incentives.
Additionally, the Attorney General announced updates to the CCPA FAQ with solutions to some of these violations. The most notable CCPA FAQ update includes clarification that the Global Privacy Control (GPC) is an “acceptable method for consumers to opt-out of sales”. Taking this a step further, the update requires that the GPC “must be honored by covered businesses as a valid consumer request to stop the sale of personal information.”
Specifically, this update concerns Section 999.315(c) of the CCPA regulation stating, “[i]f a business collects personal information from consumers online, the business shall treat user-enabled global privacy controls, such as a browser plug-in or privacy setting, device setting, or other mechanisms, that communicate or signal the consumer’s choice to opt-out of the sale of their personal information as a valid [opt-out of sale] request..”
There are currently 50 million individuals who are using browsers and tools that support Global Privacy Control. Publishers utilizing consent and preference management platforms (CMP), such as CookiePro, are able to easily implement GPC to empower consumers to opt-out of sales.
What is Global Privacy Control?
Global Privacy Control (GPC) was developed by a coalition of publishers, tech companies, browser, and extension developers, and civil rights groups to help consumers easily exercise their “Do Not Sell” Rights under CCPA. GPC entitles users to signal their chosen privacy setting to websites and services through their browser or plug-in which promotes trust between consumers and businesses.
How Does CookiePro Help Users Opt-In to the GPC?
- Turn on the signal: Turn on the Global Privacy Control signal in your browser-level settings to communicate your privacy preferences to publishers.
- Send the signal: Your browser settings will communicate your preference settings to websites when using the signal.
- Exercise your rights: After turning on the privacy setting, your browser or extension automatically communicates your preferences with participating websites to respect your rights according to your settings.
CookiePro Supports the GPC Signal
CookiePro supports the GPC signal through the cookie product and consent management platform (CMP). Customers can set up a signal in the CookiePro environment under the targeting category to enable this feature. As a result, your website will automatically accept the user’s signal preferences.
Additionally, CookiePro also helps publishers and advertisers:
- Drive opt-ins and engagement – track and analyze consent rates with pre-build, real-time dashboards and reporting, deploy A/B testing, and monitor to maximize opt-in rates.
- Gain trust – demonstrate transparency and empower audiences with tools to control their consent and preferences.
- Protect ad revenue – support header bidding/pre-bidding and monetize content in new ways based on first-party data.
- Share signals – sync with IAB TCF, IAB CCPA, Salesforce DMP, Google DFP / AdSense / AdX, Google Tag Manager, Adobe DTM and more.
- Initiate with existing tech stack – protect investments with easy integrations to other solutions such as Adobe Advertising Cloud, Facebook, FreeWheel, mParticle, Salesforce Audience Studio, and more.