CCPA Compliance Checklist: 5-Week Countdown
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) is only five weeks away from going into effect, and we’re counting down with a blog series that features a CCPA Compliance Checklist.
Last week, we discussed #5 off of our checklist about adding a Do Not Sell link or button to websites to allow visitors to opt of the sale of personal information. This week, we’ll review #6 about adding a toll-free number to your website Do Not Sell link or button.
CCPA Compliance Checklist
- Understand what the CCPA is and if it applies to you
- Determine what data is collected from California consumers and for what purposes they are used
- Inform visitors what personal information is collected when visiting your website
- Offer an online form for consumers to access, request deletion, or opt out of sales of their personal information
- Create a toll-free number for consumers to make consumer rights’ requests over the phone
- Maintain detailed, ongoing consent records for compliance
- Develop a process to respond to consumer requests within 45 days from when the request was made
- Obtain opt-in consent from children between ages 13-16 to sell their information; a parent of legal guardian required to opt in on behalf of children under 13 years old
- Provide consumers who exercise their privacy rights the same products and service quality
Toll-Free Number for Consumer Requests
Under the CCPA, one amendment that is still waiting for Governor Newsom’s signature is AB-1564, the “Toll-Free Number amendment”. With this, businesses must provide a way for consumers to submit consumer requests via a link or button on the company’s website, and a toll-free number visitors can contact.
Using CookiePro Consumer Rights Management, website owners are able to set up an online intake form for consumer requests and a toll-free number for phone requests.
This solution was developed as a response to the provision that requires organizations to set up and maintain a toll-free number.
Leverage CookiePro’s CCPA Toll-Free Module To:
- Leverage a unique toll-free phone number to intake consumer requests using an automated system
- Utilize a fully customizable greeting in line with company messaging and regulatory requirements
- Add identity verification workflows to validate the requestor’s identity
- Centrally log consumer requests for record-keeping